Titus Mung’ou is a champion of Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement in East Africa. While at Action Against Hunger (ACF), he mobilised civil societies to establish Kenya’s SUN Civil Society Alliance (SUN CSA) in 2013.
As the first Chair of Kenya’s SUN CSA (2013-2015), on behalf of ACF, he mobilised over 50 NGOs to join the network and influenced nutrition agenda, prioritisation of nutrition in development plans and increased budgets to tackle malnutrition. At least 8 sub-national governments created clear budget lines for nutrition.
Mr Mung’ou mobilised key decision-makers such as governors, MPs and First County Ladies to sign commitments to scale up nutrition. He coordinated SUN CSA to present over 10 position papers that shaped nutrition issues including review of the Kenya Health Policy 2014-2030 and Kenya Health Bill 2014.
In June 2016, Mr Mung’ou’s contribution to health and nutrition in Kenya was recognised when he was awarded a certificate from the Ministry of Health, by Kenya’s First Lady H.E. Margaret Kenyatta, at the launch of Global Nutrition Report 2016.
Mr Mung’ou is currently supporting health and development advocates in the Global South, through the Advocacy Accelerator. He supports Somalia SUN Movement and is assisting the Somalia Nutrition Cluster to develop its Advocacy Strategy Framework for 2018-2019.
The champion has documented some best practices in advocacy:
- Pictorial: Nutrition champion’s work to scale up nutrition https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/88aeb7b9-fa80-47a1-9867-b62a4f973897
- Can SUN Movement benefit from Africa’s political blocs? http://bit.ly/2lmMFnC
- Interview with Kenya’s SUN Government Focal Point http://bit.ly/2rKCc8Y
- Multimedia, Committing to Nutrition: Raising Nutrition up the political agenda in Tanzania http://bit.ly/2xb8EjD
- Advocacy, communication and media engagement in scaling up nutrition http://bit.ly/2jBO2Px
- Working with parliamentarians to build and sustain political commitment for nutrition http://bit.ly/2jBPxgG
- Civil Societies Mobilised to Scale Up Nutrition in Kenya http://bit.ly/2j6hw7l
- Transforming Media Reporting of Nutrition Issues in Kenya http://bit.ly/2ibHqXy
- GNR Nairobi launch puts a Multi-sectoral face on Malnutrition http://bit.ly/2jhknr8
- Multimedia, TV interview, Kiswahili language, Global Nutrition Report 2016 http://bit.ly/2j3X4U6
- Media, Alarm raised over high rate of malnutrition in Kenya, https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000145008/alarm-raised-over-high-rate-of-malnutrition
- Field brief, Support to ACF Cambodia Mission and SUN civil societies https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/8ab76815-00d5-402a-bcf2-a190996371ed
- SUN CSA, first bulletin https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/f8eb29b3-2ea1-43de-8c4d-6c1cf2ae6f14
- SUN CSA, Nutrition Advocacy Training at sub-national level https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/1348adb4-7ea3-49ba-972b-bc7d3dc7330f
- SUN CSA, Survey on media coverage of nutrition issues in Kenya https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b5faf364-a09a-4c12-920a-e722db7239d2
- SUN CSA, Nutrition advocacy at county level in Kenya, https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b72c4bd6-5174-4fe4-9c78-4f94b797cd6f
- SUN CSA, Nutrition advocacy at national level in Kenya, https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/ac19dd5a-9cf1-4929-8ea3-f43a625cfed9
- SUN, East Africa launch of Global Nutrition Report 2015, https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/950eece5-e292-4c12-b61e-5242319e4ad0
- Civil societies in Kenya mobilised to scale up nutrition http://scalingupnutrition.org/news/civil-societies-mobilised-to-scale-up-nutrition-in-kenya-2/
- Eldis, Road to Rio Summit http://www.eldis.org/blogpost/road-rio-summit-nutrition-growth